Memphis Start-Up Business Attorneys
Lawyers Helping Entrepreneurs With Business Formation and Contracts in Shelby County
In recent years, Memphis has been named one of the best cities in the United States to launch a start-up, and it has been recognized particularly for its support of businesses owned by women and minorities. That said, even with all of the opportunities Memphis offers for start-ups, it can still be challenging to get a new business off the ground, especially considering all of the legal matters that must be addressed.
At Douglass & Runger, PLLC, Attorneys at Law, we have a broad and thorough understanding of federal and Tennessee business law, and we are proud to have helped many local entrepreneurs and businesses on the path to success, with services including business formation, contract drafting and review, and commercial litigation. We are available whenever you need us to help you achieve your start-up goals.
Legal Services for Tennessee Start-Ups
There are many important details involved in launching a start-up business, and we can help you move forward on each of them. We provide a wide range of legal services for start-ups, including:
- Business formation: One of your first and most important decisions as an entrepreneur is the type of business entity you want to establish. We can help you understand the benefits of forming a Limited Liability Company (LLC) or corporation, both of which protect you from personal liability when compared to a sole proprietorship or partnership, and take the necessary steps to complete your business formation.
- IP protection: As a start-up with something new to offer to your community, chances are you have some form of intellectual property that you want to protect. We can assist with the legal processes of filing for a copyright, trademark, patent, or protection of trade secrets, as well as the drafting of enforceable nondisclosure and confidentiality agreements for your employees and contractors.
- Compliance: A new business must be sure to comply with a wide range of federal and state laws and regulations, or risk legal penalties and other consequences. We will work to ensure your compliance with tax regulations for your business entity, including obtaining an Employer Identification Number (EIN), as well as laws regarding zoning, employment, and employee health and safety.
- Financing: Investment capital is crucial for many start-ups to launch and grow their businesses. We can help you explore your options for financing, including debt and equity financing, small business loans, angel investors, venture capitalists, and more. We can also review agreements with lenders and investors to ensure your interests are protected.
- Governing documents: A new business can benefit from thorough governing documents that delineate the rights, responsibilities, and relationships among shareholders, employees, and third parties. We can assist with the drafting of your Articles of Incorporation or Organization, shareholder agreements, and company bylaws and operating agreements.
- Contracts: As your business grows, you will need to establish work agreements with a wide range of parties, including your employees, contractors, suppliers, and possibly your clients or customers. Each of these relationships can benefit from a contract that clearly outlines the expectations for all involved parties. We will work with you to draft, revise, and review contracts to ensure they meet your needs and guard your interests.
We also recognize that the needs of an entrepreneur or start-up can not always be addressed by an attorney alone. For this reason, we are happy to connect our clients with a network of local professionals who can provide additional support, from accountants, to web service providers, to other members of the Memphis start-up community.
Contact a Shelby County Start-Up Lawyer
In the early stages of your start-up and throughout the life of your business, you can rely on Douglass & Runger, PLLC to be your trusted ally and legal advocate. Contact us for a consultation at 901-388-5805 to learn more about what we can do for your business. We serve entrepreneurs in Memphis, Bartlett, and the surrounding areas throughout Shelby County, including Arlington, Millington, Lakeland, Germantown, and Collierville.