Memphis Commercial Litigation Attorney
The vast majority of lawsuits – whether they are personal injury lawsuits, criminal proceedings, or business law disputes – end in a settlement reached between the parties. This is largely due to the fact that litigation is expensive, time-consuming, and unpredictable. As such, many businesses find it is much more cost-effective to settle disputes and disagreements rather than litigating the dispute in court.
Sometimes, however, the parties cannot reach a settlement and litigation is inevitable. The security of your business and its assets depends on having experienced and knowledgeable counsel that can effectively represent you in court. The Tennessee business litigation attorneys at Douglass & Runger, PLLC, Attorneys at Law, can do just that.
What Is Commercial Litigation?
Commercial litigation is a “catch-all” term that encompasses any legal dispute involving at least one business that must be resolved through the court system because negotiations have failed or one party does not wish to settle the case. Overall, commercial litigation can touch on a variety of areas of law, including:
- Contract law, if the parties are disagreeing about the provisions of a contract or their obligations thereunder;
- Employment law, if (for example) an employee is accusing the business of violating his or her rights;
- Immigration law, if the business is accused of hiring individuals in violation of federal law;
- Securities law, if there is some alleged irregularity in a purchase or sale of stocks or other similar instruments;
- Corporate law, if the shareholders are bringing a suit against the board of directors for alleged misconduct; and/or
- Various other areas of law, such as environmental law, real estate, and the like.
A commercial litigation law firm must be knowledgeable about how various areas of law can impact a business’s operations and how to prepare a case for trial. These are skills and competencies that take time to develop. At Douglass & Runger, PLLC, Attorneys at Law, our seasoned team of Tennessee commercial litigation lawyers vigorously represent our business clients in all types of commercial litigation matters, regardless of how challenging or complex. Contact us today to learn more about how we can help you.
What Other Competencies Should A Commercial Litigation Attorney Possess?
In addition to being comfortable working with diverse areas of the law, a commercial litigation attorney should also be able to:
- Conduct complex discovery to ensure your business’s discovery obligations are fulfilled and to discover important information from the other side that is necessary to win your case;
- Participate in settlement negotiations and alternative dispute resolutions, especially considering that arbitration or mediation may be a prerequisite to the filing and prosecution of a lawsuit.
- Engage in aggressive pretrial motion practice. An often-overlooked aspect of litigation is the filing and arguing of motions that can take place any time after a case is filed up to the time of trial. In some cases, a dispute can be “litigated” and disposed of because of effective motions.
- Effectively prepare and present a case to a judge or jury. It takes skill to persuasively present the facts of a particular case to a judge or a jury. A commercial litigation attorney should know how to present the important facts of the case in such a way that the factfinder (either the judge or jury) does not become confused or focused on immaterial issues.
Contact An Experienced Memphis Commercial Litigation Attorney For Help
If you are facing a commercial litigation matter and need to learn more about your legal options, contact the seasoned advocates at Douglass & Runger, PLLC, Attorneys at Law. They will fight vigorously to resolve your dispute as effectively and efficiently as possible. They are able to diagnose the legal issues involved in your dispute and can present the material facts to a judge or jury in a professional yet easy-to-understand manner. Contact Douglass & Runger, PLLC, Attorneys at Law, now at (901) 388-5805 to learn how their commercial litigation attorneys can make a difference for you.
Let Us Help
For more information about our firm and our approach to the practice of elder law, contact our office. Call (901) 388-5805 to schedule a confidential consultation and case review today. Douglass & Runger, Attorneys at Law, serve clients throughout Memphis, Shelby County, and the surrounding areas.