COVID-19 VIRUS POLICY
Thank you for trusting Douglass & Runger for your legal matter. As you may have seen on the news or social media, the Tennessee Supreme Court has suspended all in person court hearings through March 31, 2020 with provisions for the following exceptions set forth below:
- Proceedings necessary to protect constitutional rights of criminal defendants, including bond-related matters and plea agreements for incarcerated individuals
- Civil and criminal jury trials that are in progress as of March 13, 2020
- Proceedings related to relief from abuse, including but not limited to orders of protection
- Proceedings related to emergency child custody orders
- Department of Children’s Services emergency matters related to child protection
- Proceedings related to petitions for temporary injunctive relief
- Proceedings related to emergency mental health orders
- Proceedings related to emergency protection of elderly or vulnerable persons
- Proceedings directly related to the COVID-19 public health emergency
- Other exceptions as approved by the Chief Justice
WE ARE WORKING and the office phones will be answered during normal business hours. While some of our staff may be working remotely from home at times, rest assured that your case will not just be sitting in a pile for several weeks.
While in court proceedings are shut down, the majority of our Shelby County Courts clerk’s offices remain open, and most of the Courts have electronic online filing systems which enable us to file legal actions or other pleadings to move matters forward.
WE ARE STILL ACCEPTING NEW CLIENTS AND REFERRALS; however, we are temporarily conducting all new client consultations via video conferencing on Skype or Zoom, and of course over the phone.
While our biggest concern is for the health and safety of our clients and potential clients, we know that our great country will defeat this virus. Furthermore, we want you to know that we are still dilligently working on your matters and we are taking on new matters, so that when we come through this time, you are in the best position possible from a legal standpoint, regardless of your case. Thank you for your continued trust in our firm. We appreciate each and everyone of you.
Let Us Help
For more information about our firm and our approach to the practice of elder law, contact our office. Call (901) 388-5805 to schedule a confidential consultation and case review today. Douglass & Runger, Attorneys at Law, serve clients throughout Memphis, Shelby County, and the surrounding areas.